At a recent meeting of the Scout Association Isle of Man Executive Committee the sum of £15,000.00 has been ear marked spread over 5 years for leader training in adventurous activities
This year and next we intend to concentrate on the Climbing Wall Award and also kayaking. The CWA is a NGB qualification and training and assessment will take place in the UK and the requirements are briefly as follows:
- You need to be a climber and have a interest in delivering the activity to our groups at Hot Rocks (subject to Executive approval we hope to construct a 3 route wall at Mullin ny Carty one route being higher than Hot rocks)
- You must have climbed on at least 3 different walls including a major wall (if you lack the experience please don’t worry we will train you locally in preparation for the formal training with the formal training next year).
- You must register with Mountain Training Association and fill in a log
- There is two full days of training and one evening completed on one visit
- Three to six months of further training to develop new ideas and skills
- This is for a full day and evening
- Have recorded a minimum of 30 visits to at least 3 different walls
- Have led a minimum of 40 climbs
As you can see this is a demanding course and much practice will be required and we are looking for 4 leaders to undertake this course. Upon completion with a pass the leader will have a additional role, County Assessor and be able to recommend permits to suitably trained leaders.
Please express your interest with Steve Hearnden – AIC Activities.