(Vacant April 2016)
You are responsible to:
the Island Commissioner
The summary of the role:
The Chair will lead the Executive Committee, ensuring that it fulfils its responsibilities within the Island. The Chair will work closely with the Island Commissioner to achieve the purpose of The Scout Association through the development of local Scouting, in accordance with the Policy, Organisation and Rules of The Scout Association.
You are responsible for:
Executive Committee Members
Your main contacts are:
- Island Commissioner
- Adult support staff at Gilwell Park
- Specialist Advisers (adult training)
- Other County Training Manager in the Region
- Deputy County Training Managers
- Local Training Managers
- County Training Administrator
- Local Training Administrators
- Safeguarding Awareness Co-ordinator
Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies).
The responsibilities of the Chair:
- Objectively and impartially chairing and facilitating Executive Committee meetings.
- Acting as the Chair of The Scout Association – Isle of Man.
- Planning the annual cycle of Executive Committee meetings and setting the agenda for Executive Committee meetings.
- Monitoring that decisions and actions agreed at Executive Committee meetings are implemented.
- Working closely with the Island Commissioner to ensure there are long term and short term goals and the role the Executive Committee can play in helping to achieve these.
- Providing direction for the Executive Committee.
- Ensuring that all members of the Executive Committee have been briefed and inducted into their roles, receive appropriate training, and are aware of their status as charity trustees.
- Addressing and resolving conflicts that arise.
- Membership and attendance of any working groups or sub-Committees set up by the Executive Committee, where appropriate.
- Acting as the final appeal point for appointment disagreements between the Appointments Advisory Committee and Island Commissioner.
General Executive Committee responsibilities:
- To be a full and active participant in Executive Committee meetings and activities.
- To uphold the responsibilities of an Executive Committee as outlined in The Scout Association’s Policy Organisation and Rules.
- Willingness and eligibility to act as a Charity Trustee for the Island.*
- Contribute to the strategic aims and future development of the Island.
- An understanding of their own role, and the role of others on the Executive Committee
- A commitment to understanding and forming opinions on the key discussion points and responsibilities of the Executive Committee.
- Willingness to complete various tasks which support the work of the Executive Committee and aims of the Island.
Skills for a Chair:
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong communication and inter-personal skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Able to think creatively and solve problems.
- Able to motivate others and encourage participation.
- Able to handle and resolve conflict effectively.
- Willing to speak one’s mind and listen to the views of others.
- Able to maintain independent and objective judgement.
- Willing to actively design and contribute to the strategic vision of the Island.
- Willingness to take decisions which will further the work of the Island
To apply for the position, if you require additional information, contact the Island Commissioner, Guy Thompson.